Sunday, May 06, 2007

My Podcasting Experience

The RSS URL for my podcast is http://odeo.com/channel/411943/rss.xml
My Time Management Podcast

I really wanted to produce a 'great podcast' as suggested in the readings...add music, interview people, use a better microphone...but quickly realized the limitations of the resources, time, and my own talent as a novice podcaster. Besides, we are in the middle of exams and it was too imposing to ask anyone to participate in this exercise. I think that I chose a universal topic "Time Management", that a good number of people would find somewhat interesting, is relevant to distance education, and did the best with what I had. I found ODEO for recording a bit tedious to use because of its limited editing capabilities. I had to start recording all over if I made a mistake. My final product is far from perfect because of this, but at least now I can say that I am aware of the mechanics of producing a podcast, and what it takes to create a more polished and professional product. The whole experience simply affirmed some of the issues we've been discussing about integrating technology in the classroom. A quality podcast, like any other technology, can be time intensive to produce, requires pre-planning, amassing resources, and a good dose of patience. Perhaps that is why some instructors shy away from integrating technology, if they have to go it alone without adequate support. All in all, it was a great exercise and applicable to the direction of how a new technology is being used to enhance learning.

I liked Pam Miller's podcast on online safety. It was right on target about parents' responsibilities to monitor their childrens' activities on the Internet, along with practical tips on how to do it.

Diane Fulkerson's podcasts are brief and to the point. I like her assessment on when and where podcasts are useful in higher education. It gives novices to podcasting a starting point when considering incorporating this technology.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that you did a great job on your podcast. I would argue, though, that 'great' is in the eye of the beholder. I personally cannot stand 'perfect' 'rehearsed' sounding monotone podcasrs or online videos. Give me the ones with the real human touch. And these don't take so long ;-)

Bessie said...

Thanks, Janet. You are very kind.

Unknown said...

Very interesting post share "great podcast". i will follow your blog tips day by day.

Regards
Hazel